The wait is over. Google Maps for iOS will be available in the App Store on Thursday, December 13. The app, which has been MIA since Apple replaced it with their own not-ready-for-prime-time Maps app with the launch of iOS 6 in September.
The app appears to now have all of the features, including voice-guided direction, that Google built for Android but refused to add to the built-in app for iOS. Here is the official iTunes description:
Navigate your world with Google Maps, now available for iPhone. Get comprehensive, accurate and easy-to-use maps with built-in Google local search, voice guided turn-by-turn navigation, public transit directions, Street View and more. Use Google Maps to discover great places to eat, drink, shop and play, with ratings and reviews from people you trust. Sign in to save your favorite places and quickly access all your past searches and directions from your computer, right on your phone.
* Find addresses, places and businesses around the world with Google local search.
* Discover places to eat, drink, shop and play, with ratings and local reviews.
* Sign in to sync your searches, directions, and favorite places between your computer and your phone.
* Get voice guided, turn-by-turn driving directions.
* Find your way by train, bus, subway or walking directions.
* Access live traffic information in cities across the world.
Street View and imagery
* View 360-degree panoramas of places around the globe with Street View.
* See inside more than 100,000 businesses worldwide.
* View high resolution satellite imagery of locations around the world.
Simple and easy to use
* An entirely new Google Maps experience on your iPhone.
* Newly designed and streamlined interface for even easier navigation of your world.
* Use gestures to explore the map and browse results.
雖然大家都對Apple移除Google地圖的行為很不諒解，不過Apple最終還是讓Google地圖再度回鍋App Store，而且還是以更漂亮、簡潔、功能更強大的App呈現，著實讓Apple地圖失色不少。面對地圖開發，執行長Tim Cook曾言有一項大計畫正在進行，新一波地圖戰爭即將開打